Monday, July 25, 2011

It finally rained through most of the night last night! (Locals will probably die from humidity today.) not a downpour but a slow, soaking rain which had time to reach deep into the soil.

The garden looks great this morning! :) After all the revisions to multiple rows, should hold moisture really well now.

Tomato plants are gaining height at last. More flowers forming and about a dozen tomatoes in place. Small but still green and growing. Last count as of Sat, 16 plants in the garden. Not sure where one came from. It's far from the rest of the tomato plants and I never planted any seeds there. Have 7 more in buckets.

One surviving strawberry plant and one pepper plant. Those also in buckets.

Now 56 pumpkin plants! That should mean a really good harvest, even if only half produce. Varying types from minis to extra large. No true giants but still hoping for at least one 100 pounder this year.

Generator went out on me this weekend. Have to take it back to Harbor Freight this morning. Wish I had the money to upgrade to a larger size. Best not to waste the money, though.

Decided to go ahead and get an estimate from a reasonable electrician on getting tied back into the grid. But with a meter which will run backward, so I can add wind and solar later. I will be building a system which produces more than I use. At least 3 kw/hr, probably more. Since I'm at work many nights and asleep most days, I don't use much power. That would mean a check from PNM each month. But I'll still add battery backup gradually.

No comments:

Post a Comment