Saturday, September 3, 2011

Well, the spray I concocted did not work on the squash bugs at all. No surprise or someone would have come up with something similar before.

The most widely used organic method of control of squash bugs is simply..squashing them! They seem to congregate and feed on one plant in numbers. That does make it simple to crush a lot of them in short order. Though there are times you cannot avoid doing damage to leaves in the process, at least the plant may recover from that damage as opposed to that of the insects themselves.

Something else I may try is some nicotine spray. Just in a spray bottle and aimed at any squash bugs or eggs I find. Or try collecting the insects and testing it on them first. That would not involve crushing leaves and it only remains toxic in the immediate area until it dries. So low risk to ladybugs or other beneficials. I'll write what results I have after trying it.

Took down the tarps on the house today. Weather is cooling, they look bad and I've learned what I need to from them before going with something more permanent. They definitely helped in some ways but my design had flaws in others. Couldn't be helped much. Can adjust for those flaws in something larger and more solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment