Monday, August 6, 2012

Trellises

Got a big roll of poultry netting and started getting the trellises put together more effectively. Taking down exhausted corn stalks as I go. Still have to put up some more.

Some of the vines are over 6 ft long already. Daughter and I had green beans with dinner Sat night. They were great! Going to have the best crop yet! Looks like I may have enough to preserve this year! Yay!

I'm definitely going to plant less corn next year and none of the small variety. If it comes out well, I'll stick with the giant variety. I will plant one stalk every few feet because the shade has proven quite valuable for other crops. Melon vines are growing everywhere. I have a few melons growing, cantaloupe and watermelon. Not as many as I would think for the number of vines. Though they may pick up more as I clear the corn stalks. 

Unfortunately, have not seen a single cucumber this year. Going to give one more shot at planting some and hope for one good crop before frost. 

No comments:

Post a Comment