Friday, February 28, 2014

Cucumber vines

Checked the cucumber vines I planted the other day (less than a week ago). They have all sprouted and growing fast! So fast that I will have to transplant them this weekend. Slow as they grew last year, I wasn't expecting them to take off like little rockets this year. 

However, they are currently in potting soil. So that is a big illustration of the difference in soil. Definitely a sodium problem in the native soil still. It improves year upon year but not quite fixed yet by any means. 

I'm going to go check a local compost company not far from my house this weekend. They probably sell compost by the bag because I know their products are or used to be carried in major chain stores. 

One of the good things for the garden plan this year is that it will leave more room to do intensive treatments with acid this year. From experience one the last couple of years, I'm not worried about burning crops because the acid is almost instantaneously neutralized in the soil. I can apply huge amounts of acid, enough to help control weeds and not fear doing damage to food crops or flowers only inches away. (Long as I don't over-spray.) 

Tomato plants I transplanted the other day are mostly doing well. I think only one failed. Have to transplant more soon.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment