Sunday, March 2, 2014

Fake snow

I have some fake snow and similar water beads left over from the past two holiday seasons. Rehydrating them to mix with potting soil and seed starting mix. I think they may do really well in that capacity. Though once these things dry out in a clump, it takes a really long time for them to absorb water again to capacity. They're okay as long as they're not allowed to completely dry in clumps. 

Did an experiment not long ago with the larger beads to see how they perform under heat. I boiled some of them. They did great! Kept their form and the colored ones even kept their color. Once I let them dry out, they shrunk but when water was added they absorbed the water just as before. My thought on that experiment was the idea of using them to increase thermal mass. Not completely sure what I'll do with that knowledge yet but I am thinking of using it for the solarium in some form later. Done right, it would be both functional and decorative. 

Some of my seedlings may die off before I get them transplanted if I don't move them to larger containers by tomorrow night. They're growing surprisingly fast. Then again, this is the first year I can recall having the correct combination for them. All potting soil or seed starting mix, moisture retaining seed trays, no native soil and being home nearly 24/7 so the heat stays above 50 degrees in the house at all times. Though the seeds I'm starting now (from past experience) are more appropriate for cooler temperatures, at least for starting now. 

The riskier/less certain crops will be started this week. Some of them. Others to be added later.

No comments:

Post a Comment