Thursday, November 20, 2014

Good and bad

Well, since completing the solarium it has helped the temperature inside the house. Mostly by blocking the wind from the west wall. It has also allowed solar gain during the day. However, temps have been dropping as low as the low teens at night. Since I didn't have a decent auxiliary form of heat for night, the temperature went below freezing inside the solarium. 

As a result of that, the tomato plants went dormant. I don't think they died off. It didn't stay below freezing long enough to damage the roots. I think they'll come back once the temperature remains above freezing in there for a while.

I set up a gas space heater in there last night. More effective and less expensive to keep going than the electric space heater. 

Still, I have some cilantro seeds planted in containers with other plants and started some broccoli seeds last night. Think I'll also start some lettuce seeds. Potatoes are still going in their container. Those things will grow even if the temperature stays below 50. Maybe get some spinach started, also. 

I think what I need to do is add another layer of plastic sheeting to the top, on the inside. That can be less durable than the outside film but would help reduce heat loss at night. It would also reduce light coming in but most cool weather crops don't need that much light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment