Saturday, November 29, 2014

Finally!

So, it appears that the system I came up with for attaching the solarium sheeting is working. Finally! 

In previous years, when the winds picked up, I would wind up with at least small sections developing holes which had to be repaired. This time there has been a few days of fairly strong winds and no holes have appeared. 

However, this year did involve more planning, work, time and money. Tried to put such into it in previous years but it never quite worked as planned. Then I wound up throwing plastic sheeting up and attaching it however I could. 

Not complaining. I learned from previous attempts, which led to the current configuration. 

I haven't quite figured out what to do with the well pump. Only thing I can think of is building a small extension out to cover it, bringing it into the solarium so it doesn't freeze. And so the dogs have less access to it. It would also make it more attractive. I'll have to get that done in spring, though. It's going to take a lot of work to build access points for water lines and maintenance. Probably have multiple doors but still need to be insulated. Plus I still have the pump sitting on an old picnic table bench, so need to build a dedicated support. Before I can do that I have to fill in the cave the dogs dug around the pipe. And yes, I mean cave, not just a hole. I was considering putting concrete down but if I build the housing the concrete won't be necessary. I just want to be able to use the pump in early spring and have it in winter as an emergency water supply. 

I may start planting tomato seeds this month in the house. Use the old office, where I have shelves by one window. By late Jan to early Feb it will be just warm enough to move the seedlings out to the solarium. Small containers at first and moving to increasingly larger ones. By April or May, they should be quite large enough to move into the garden and have a decent year. If I do things that way, I may be able to coax out tomatoes by late May or early June and a bumper crop by July and onward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment