Friday, April 17, 2015

Zone 2

Zone 2 of the irrigation system is up and running now. May have to replace one sprinkler. I think there's not enough pressure in this zone because the zone is too big. Either that or there's a pressure leak somewhere. I'm letting the system run for a few hours tonight, so hoping any leaks may be more visible tomorrow.

Letting it run to flush the system and the soil to leach off any surface salt. Also to get any remaining grass and weed seeds or roots to start growing so I can deal with them. It also wakes up earthworms and microbes for the spring, bringing them closer to the surface.

Installed the metal straps on the compost tumbler, so the door will stop warping in the sun. It's showing good results, composting much, much faster than the compost pile. In 2-3 weeks I think this batch will be useable. I do need to tumble it every day or two, now that the door will stay closed. I do have air holes drilled in the sides but if I don't turn it, the stuff on the bottom goes into anearobic decomposition, which smells pretty bad. More air mixed in speeds up composting, too. 

They referred to frost last night. In my area, it came closer to a hard freeze. The grape vines lost all their green leaves. Glad they hadn't flowered yet. I managed to avert damage to the apple and most of the plum tree with wrapping them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment