Thursday, April 9, 2015

Long road

This year it's a long road to planting in the garden. Getting problems under control before planting anything outside. I am getting closer, though.

Got the unwanted trees cut down to size, drilled some holes and applied some Epsom Salt and sulfuric acid. Have to wait a while to see how effective it is.

Transplanted most of the tomato plants into large containers this evening. Only one which I have doubts will survive. Let them get a bit larger before I take any cuttings. 

Got two more blueberry plants, small ones for now. Plus a seedless green grape vine. All three are looking good so far.

Cuttings from blueberry bushes and plums seem to be taking. If they form roots, I'll be up to as many as 11 blueberry bushes. I'm actually more hopeful that the apple cuttings will take than the plum cuttings. They look hopeful but not certain just yet. 

After several days of strong winds, it finally died down today. I was able to get out and spread acid in the main garden. Diluted acid has not been strong enough to bring weeds and grass under control, so this time I used straight acid. Risky process and can even feel the fumes on my skin but no actual direct exposure or burns. Spots where I had applied acid to the tree stumps a few days ago turned black, so hoping to see the same in the garden now. The strong but still diluted solution I used a few days ago worked on some random weeds. I also sprayed some of the full strength acid during lunch and could see some effect by this evening. I'm applying this before tilling or planting anything this year. Going to try and avoid turning over surface soil as much as possible this year. Acid on the surface should kill seeds while foliage application should kill weeds and grass to the roots. 

So, just used the last of the 5 gals of acid I bought last year. I'm expecting to go through more than that this year because I'm going to apply it very heavily this year to wrestle control of the garden. Once things are under control, just keep applying with irrigation water to help soil acidity. 

The plum and apple trees have had lots of flowers this year! Hoping that means lots of fruit!

Finally got something which fits to plug the hole left by the broken gauge in the well pump. Could not find a replacement gauge or a bolt, so found a pipe nipple and cap, used pipe tape and it worked fine. The pump still works well, the only problem was the gauge. None of that means the irrigation system is up and running yet. That's going to take a lot of work, thanks to the dogs who chewed up a lot of parts. 

Winds have stretched out the solarium film. I have to get on the ladder and stretch the film tight again. I also need to order some shade fabric to control the temperature, now that weather is warming up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment