Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Almost ready for Autumn/ Upping the Ante

Last night I burned bamboo and branches which were excess I couldn't use. Went to put the ashes in the compost pits this evening and found it still smoldering! Left it sitting until morning. Can add it to the pits then.


Got most of the leaves raked out from one wood pile. I still think I'll need a chain saw to cut down some of the longer pieces of wood. The shorter ones I can split sometime soon.


Got the grass cut and ran the mulching mower over the leaves, as well. It acts like a vacuum. Love that thing! Then tossed all of the leaves and clippings into the compost pits. Both pits were empty, so I'm restarting them from the bottom now. Still have a little weeding in the front yard but it got too dark to do that today.


The furnace wouldn't run and I suspected it was due to a broken support bracket for the blower motor. The fan mounts directly on the shaft and was jammed against the housing. Got a new bracket for $9 but it was slightly larger than the original, so I had to do a little modifying to get it to fit. Finished that tonight and I'm happy to say the furnace works great! Only had it running for a few minutes to test it but it heated the place up so much I had to turn on the swamp cooler afterward. It'll probably work even better after I block the swamp cooler draft. Still too many hot days when I have to sleep, since I work at night. I'm just happy it was nothing more expensive.


Continuing the efforts on the tree idea, I wrote to Albertson's grocery and Walmart tonight. Asked them for their expired tree fruits. That would provide both seeds and composting materials. I had asked Lowe's and Home Depot about the possibility of materials to build a greenhouse, so I can continue the effort all year.


Once I start hearing back from some of these offices, it will take some coordinating to make things run as efficiently as possible. If I get no positive responses, I will still be continuing with the same plans, just on a smaller scale to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment