Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Greening the planet/fighting hunger

Recently, I came up with an idea. I'm not one to sit around when I have a good idea, I act on it.

This idea will benefit the environment and make a healthy dent in world hunger at the same time. 


Best way to present it is simply to state what my plans are. 

I am going to start planting seeds of food-bearing plants, mostly trees. When these are ready for transplant, they will be given to whomever wants them. It does not matter where they are planted, the result will be much the same. New trees which feed the hungry and offer shade and improve the environment for decades. With proper permission, I will also plant in public spaces, such as parks that have existing grass, trees and irrigation.


I live near a river, so I will also be planting seeds along the bosque. (As it's called here. Most of the world calls it a delta.) My daughter and I can take walks beside the river with trowels in hand, planting seeds along the way. Then, we get to see the trees grow as she grows and know they offer benefits to those who need it. Not to mention it would be of benefit to the local wildlife.


For those who accept donations of trees, I will request but not demand that, in the future, they save and return seeds so that the effort can continue and expand. I will also ask that any excess be donated to the local food banks.


I am asking that others across the planet duplicate this effort. If only one person in each of 100 cities start 100 trees per year, that would add 10,000 new trees to the environment and the food supply! That is every single year! This can be done with a few hours of work, a couple of packages of styrofoam cups, a few dollars worth of seeds and occasional watering! The trees could then be donated to local schools, churches, boys and girls clubs for planting! It has the potential to be an exercise/activity with strong community building facets and could be used as a community service task. Uneaten excess in public areas would be collected and included in local composting initiatives.


This thought is idealistic but how much violence occurs because of hunger and stress over the cost of basic needs like food? Actions like this may not help decrease violence but I'm sure it would not hurt.


I know that produce farmers may object to this idea. However, with the increasing production of ethanol encroaching on our food supply, it's unlikely that farmers will go broke. This idea would produce more food and allow more agricultural land to be used for items which can be used for fuel.


As of this time, I have written and asked for assistance in the form of materials from: Mayor Martin Chavez, Albuquerque, NM; Governor Bill Richardson, NM; Lowes Home Improvement Centers; Home Depot Home Improvement Centers and President Barack Obama. I am waiting for responses from each.


Please take part in this effort and inform friends about it. Even those who do not garden may offer assistance in some way. Even if not, public support will be important to ensure success.

No comments:

Post a Comment