Saturday, January 21, 2012

Changing trees

Been considering it for a couple years and decided to move on it. I want to change the type of trees in the yard. All these are cypress and Chinese elm. They're a pain and offer no benefits which some other types of trees would offer, along with more.

Gotten the tree survey from the Arbor Day Foundation several years in a row. For a small donation, they will send 10 trees to plant. Mostly decorative. As it is, I want to replace these with flowering, fruit and pecan trees. Crepe myrtle, apple, lemon, pecan and possibly cherry. Along with lots of blueberry bushes. 

That said, with the weather warming up so early this year, I have to get out and take down the existing trees soon, before they start budding out or form those horrendous seed pods. I have a few nights off this week, so going to take the chain saw out and take most of these trees down this week. Best get that done before doing so will interfere with the garden. 

There aren't any trees in the front of the house at the moment. Going to add several bushes and trees there. 

I know it will take several years before the new trees offer shade or produce anything edible but I'd much rather have that in the future than what I've got now. 

Of course, the rough part will be stump removal. Hope the truck will handle that. Most of these aren't too big, so it should. While I'm at it, get rid of that railroad tie sticking upright from the ground. (Why, I don't know. It was there when I moved in.) That and what to do with all the wood. Going to get a wood chipper in a few weeks and chip the smaller branches, compost it. Guess just stack the rest up and save it for fire pit or give it away.

Can't spend too much time on that this week. May have to take them down and leave them where they fall. Still not done rewiring the house. Should be done with that in another 2-3 weeks. Would have it done this week but was limited by time, now limited by finance. Now at the point where I need the more expensive tools and components to complete the job. When I am finished with that, I'll have some outdoor outlets for a well pump, waterfall and outdoor lighting. 

Finally got the seeds placed in plastic bags and in the fridge. As fast and easy as that went, I know I've been lazy about it. Haven't planted any of the seeds for spring yet. Get that done this week. Started watering the indoor tomato plants again the other day. Office was too cold for a while and they went dormant. Now it's remaining warm enough that they will come out of that, if they're still alive. Once I get the office rewired, bring in some of the outdoor tomato plants, start watering them and see if they recover. Not holding much hope for the outdoor ones but it's been a mild winter and you never know. Have to see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment