Saturday, January 7, 2012

Winter chores

Weather has been decent for a couple of days, in the 50's, near 60. So, got a few outside chores done.

Got the part for the furnace in the mail yesterday. Good timing. Had to climb in the crawlspace to check and run new cable. Then got the part installed. I was actually amazed at the fact that the second I hooked up power, it started with no delay at all. I've kept the occupied parts of the house warm but now the whole house is much more comfortable.

Finally collected most of the leaves from the dance studio. Piled most into the compost bin. Turned out to be more than I had counted on. I estimate I collected over 1000 lbs of leaves. Never really noted how many trees are on that lot. Over 20 trees, not counting bushes and bamboo. Still doesn't look that green because they're spaced out with rocks and parking lot between them. 

Not all the leaves would fit in the compost bin, even though the compost bin measures 3x4x4 ft. That's pretty big. So, I have several piles scattered here and there. Not worried about them scattering because I'll be spreading them out and tilling them directly in soon. 

I could fit more in the compost bin today but didn't. Expected some compaction but was surprised at the amount in one day. The bin was filled level with the top yesterday. Today it was down by nearly 1/3! I know much of that is simply from the weight but still surprising. 

The bagged leaves I collected from various sources are still next to the house. No longer bagged. The dog tore open every single bag. Wouldn't mind but now I have to pick out all the little pieces of ripped up plastic. And they're all wet, in the shadow of the house. Dry, they were 200-300 lbs of leaves. 

Cut some branches off trees today. Better to do it now, before spring, when there are no buds or leaves to contend with. Still need to buy a freestanding ladder to do more. Need it for other tasks, as well. Took down one huge branch which was large enough to be a small tree on it's own. It was overhanging the back drive and the power and phone lines. Didn't want it getting any larger. Though I will need at some point to rent, borrow or buy a wood chipper. I now have another huge pile of branches in the yard. Can't seem to completely eliminate that pile.

Going to take down the two trees causing most of the plumbing problems. I do like having trees there, so I'll replace them with Crepe Myrtle. Shallower and less invasive roots and they become decorative at a young age. 


Gotta get to bed.

Next paycheck, going to get some potting soil. Start some new tomato seeds now, so they have time to develop good root systems before spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment