Monday, January 16, 2012

Warming up!

The weather this week and next is warming up! Still dropping to frost most nights but highs are around 60. So it's a good time to work on the yard and garden to get more prepared for spring.

Unfortunately, I do have lots of irons in the fire at the moment. Still in the process of rewiring the house. That's going to take a while but I want to get it done. I've done enough to make the house safe at this point. Replaced 11 outlets so far. Most of those tested as having an open ground condition.

While under the house, found it was much colder than I had expected. Cold drafts come up through the wood floors and into the house, even into spaces between the walls. So, started buying insulation to install under the house. I got R30 insulation, which is 9" thick. Some may see that as overkill but if it keeps the house comfortable, I disagree. Going to take a lot more to insulate the walls and ceilings. 

Still, I love working outdoors when the weather is nice. So, probably going to work on the wiring tonight and tomorrow, then do some tilling and such on Wed morning. Have to work that night, so can't do too much. Just considering doing the gardening a reward to myself for getting other things accomplished. And a break from doing things which are more mandatory. 

Got some potting soil this past weekend. Going to get some seeds started this week. New tomatoes, some pecans, etc. Keep forgetting to winterize some seeds which I think need the cold. Bag them in plastic tonight and put them in the fridge. 

Now that the temps are above the point of pipes bursting, need to reinstall the hose connector. Took it down when the pipes froze and one burst. That let me insulate the other pipes more effectively. Have to figure out some way to reconfigure the whole thing so I can keep it all from freezing. More difficult than you may think due to the terrible plumbing design. 

Okay. If I'm going to get anything at all done, need some sleep. Worked all night last night and went to Harbor Freight after work for a new tool. Really tired and getting a sinus infection.

No comments:

Post a Comment