Thursday, August 1, 2013

Canning

Started canning green beans tonight. Pic below is from one bag of green beans. I have two more the same size. 


I also canned two jars of tomatoes the other night, so the large bowl of tomatoes is a different bowl than the last picture. Just rotating them out. 

Cucumbers and peppers are coming in. I'll teach daughter how to make pickles this weekend.

Cooked and froze about a dozen ears of corn tonight. Plus cooked and froze the carrots which remained. 

So, now able to start taking down some of the corn stalks. Stacking them up to dry for later shredding. 

Now, something I have to figure out how to handle. I may have to go out of town for two weeks in the future. Most things will be okay. However, pole green beans won't. It only takes a few days for a pod to go to seed. Once a single pod goes to seed, the whole vine stops producing. I'm going to plant some new seeds tomorrow, so they have a chance to grow while these vines are still producing. Though I'm considering cutting these vines down a few inches from the ground. Maybe if I do that and leave just one or two sets of leaves, these will grow back in more quickly than new seeds would. I'll try both, just for insurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment