Saturday, August 10, 2013

Canning

Corn and bush beans are down now. Have tons of corn to freeze. Cooked and in the fridge because it was too hot to work with until morning.

Canning about 15 lbs of green beans this weekend. Should get 2-3 qts of pickles from the cucumbers so far. I suspect the dogs have chewed a couple of the cucumber vines. Luckily, they didn't care for them much. 

Tomatoes hit a lull because the heat a few weeks ago made them stop flowering for a while. Had a huge run of ripe tomatoes. Now hundreds of green fruit hanging. So, I should see another cycle of ripe tomatoes in a few more weeks. 

Because of circumstances, not going all out for much greater numbers of tomato plants this year. Some more vines are maturing and putting out more fruit. I also had to do some major tying off for support today. Some vines had so much fruit they sank to the ground. Awesome! So, we will have a continuing large crop in the future. Just slowed down right now. 

I very nervously changed the position of the largest pumpkin a couple days ago. Trying to make it grow in a more normal shape, rather than flattened sideways. Think I did some minor damage to the vine in the process but it's recovering. My guess is current weight is about 40 lbs. There's another on the same vine just behind it, at about 30 lbs. I know, one vine supporting two giants limits the size on both. However, I'm not shooting for over 1000 lbs. This year. 

 Melons still aren't doing so great this year. Not sure what the problem is. Then again, I don't recall when they really ramped up last year. They weren't flowering very well during the heat a few weeks ago, now forming more flowers again. Could be what flowers there were during that time were sterile. Daughter and I have spotted a few small melons here and there. 

So, the garden is producing really well this year. Just a different balance than last year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment