Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Downsizing

A few influences have come together at the same time, making it necessary to downsize the garden a bit. Or at least thin it out.

For one, I was hired for a job which will require me to go out of town for two weeks of training. (I have no shortage of security measures in place.) The same job, after training, is at home but will require me to work 40 hours a week. That means less time and flexibility in working the garden.

So, started taking down the bush beans yesterday. Most of them were done for the year, any way. Going to cut the pole beans down near the ground before leaving town. I also planted new seeds. Not sure they'll have time to grow but worth a try. All depends on how early first frost is. 

Going to take down some of the corn, just to thin things out. Temps are cooling and lower crops need more sunshine. 

All that makes it easier to clear weeds in some places. 

Had to give in and apply some insecticide to the pumpkin plants again. Squash bugs made a return. Also got some herbicide to kill weeds on some traffic areas. Rain and improved soil conditions brought dormant weed seeds to life in huge numbers. 

I have a couple of contenders for giant pumpkins now. I'm excited to see just how big they get!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment