Saturday, February 4, 2012

Cold snap

Of course, shortly after writing about the unseasonably warm weather, a cold front blows in. That's not unexpected here. Got too anxious last year and paid the price. However, it is still much warmer overall than the past three winters, at least. 

Very funny thing. Neighbors saw me cutting trees the other day. Today, they were out with their chain saws. Neighbor to the south was cutting limbs from trees on my property which overhang their yard, mostly near power lines. (Not that close, though.) Told them I was going to ask permission to enter their yard to cut those trees and that I was going to take them down entirely. They offered to do it for me! Nice! Need to make them some cookies or something! So, they cut at least the parts which were causing me the biggest problems for now. I can take the rest down later. 

Got some seeds started last night with daughter's help. Mostly flowers but I did start some tomato seeds. Looks like the plants from last year aren't going to revive, even the indoor ones. That leaves no hope for the ones outdoors. Bummer. But with tilling, soil repair and finally being able to afford a well pump this year, I have much greater hopes of an earlier crop this year, even from seed. 

Bulbs have started growing! Couldn't believe when I was working in the yard, looked over and saw green sprouts coming up in the area where I planted the bulbs, in a definite pattern! Not all of them yet but lots. Promised daughter we will plant lots of flowers this year. We have about a million sunflower and marigold seeds. 

I don't have the time to build any part of the solarium. Too involved with more immediate practical needs, like rewiring the house. With the things I've found, it's a miracle this house hasn't burned to the ground at some point in the past. So, guess what I need to do is construct a seed starting rack to place in the office, by the window. Table there won't hold too much because of surface area. Though if I can find a cheap plastic shelving unit, may forego the work and just use that. 

As far as the wiring goes, I'll be installing outdoor outlets. One of those will mostly be for the well pump but should come in handy for Christmas lights in the winter. 

Toying with ideas. It seems unlikely that I will be able to afford to build a double glazed solarium very soon. So, I was thinking of a greenhouse inside a greenhouse design for winter and early spring. The larger greenhouse would control some temperature and wind. A much smaller, inner greenhouse would offer a place to start seeds early or keep some plants going all year. In summer, it would be easier to keep the same space cooler. If attached to the house, it would help control the house environment even more. If I decide to do away with it later in favor of double glazing, the materials may come in handy for that double glazing of the larger structure. 

Just some thoughts to explore further later.

No comments:

Post a Comment