Saturday, February 11, 2012

Sprouting!

Seeds that daughter and I started last weekend are sprouting already! Yay! Thousands of tiny flower plants coming up! We had used plastic shoe boxes and I covered those with loose plastic wrap to retain moisture. Once they gain in size a bit, I'll remove the plastic wrap.

I finally ordered a wood chipper. Should be delivered next week. Just a small one. I don't need a huge one. It will help with breaking down the 8 trees sitting on the ground. Pile up the wood chips, spice them with ammonia and let them compost. 

I was also thinking it may help a lot with breaking down the gypsum board. Soak the gypsum down and let it soften, then run the pieces through the chipper. Then cultivate the pieces in. Though I may still buy more bags of gypsum to add to the soil. 

Really expanding the amount of flowers this year. Planting flowering trees and ground blooms everywhere. Daughter is really happy about that! My hope is to one day put the local Botanical Garden to shame! (Not my motivator but something that would be cool.)

We found a place near the house which has thousands of cocoons hanging from the trees. More than I've ever seen in one place! Going to go back soon and collect a bunch of them. Make another fake tree to hang them on. Or two.

Cold snap is still with us. Supposed to get down to low 20's again this coming week. Days are still as warm as 60, though. Still, an early spring is forecast. After 2/20/12, I have another week off. During that time, planning on forming up the garden for the spring. Start getting some cool weather crops in the ground. Mostly potatoes, onions, broccoli and spinach. Not planting peas this year. Too much work for too little return. 

I can finally get a decent well pump this year. Going to buy that this coming week. I think that, along with the other steps to correct the soil, will make a huge difference this year. Will this be the year that my yard and garden turns around and becomes what I've been hoping for? Have to keep working on it, wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment