Saturday, February 25, 2012

Here we go!

Weather here is warming up slowly. Few light frosts still in the forecast but overall warm enough to start planting many things. Just hope for no repeat of a late hard freeze like last year.

Haven't gotten the well pump going yet. Turns out the well is clogged. I believe the water level rises and carries sediment into the pipes. Neighbor has had to clear his in the past. Tried for some time today to clear it but no luck. I'll try using some PVC hooked together to clear it, then just use that as an intake pipe. More permanent and no risk of hose collapsing from suction. If that doesn't work, I'll have to get a long 1/2" drain snake.


Well pump or no well pump, going to plant grass and maybe flowers in the front yard tomorrow. Use municipal water for now. In theory, I can hook up the well pump on a timer to the water hose and that would automate watering the lawn until grass seeds sprout. 


Started some strawberries inside tonight. Apparently, you can start them outdoors and small plants are tolerant to light frost. Going to get much of the main garden started next weekend. I buy the roots in a bag from WalMart. Only $3 for 10 roots as opposed to $1.50 or more for potted plants. Not certain of viability but many of the roots have green leaves on them, so I have high hopes. Got 40 so far and may get more later. (Can you tell I like strawberries?)


No blueberry plants out at WalMart yet. Hopefully soon. Lowe's has them but they cost more there. Found something out I did not know. Some blueberry bushes grow as much as 15' tall! That can change several considerations of where to plant them. Have to check the plants when buying them. Start in containers and prepare the soil for the chosen spot then. Add lots of gypsum, sulfur and Azalea food to the soil. They are very salt intolerant and require really acidic soil. In short, not made for this soil or environment at all. 


I ordered an attachment for the tiller to make things a bit easier. It's a planter/furrower attachment. Forms mounds for planting. With all the other things I have going on, it will save a lot of time and effort. Wouldn't have gotten it this year but it was on sale for half price at a really good time for me. If it works as fast as the tiller does, I can form the entire garden in a couple of hours. 


House wiring is progressing. Not nearly as fast as I would like. Got bummed for a while because I had thought I would be done with this weeks ago. However, I installed the new ceiling fan/light in the living room tonight. Have multiple circuits in place for fixtures to be hooked up. Cables run to daughter's room and the office. So, not exactly sitting still, just not all that much truly visible at the moment. That will change quickly. Patching some walls will go quickly, while others will still require lots more cutting to even holes up before patching. 


Story of my life. Have to take on a lot at once, so it lokks like I'm standing still for a while. Then, suddenly, it's all done at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment