Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Considering giants

In considering how so many things here are dwarfed because of heat and, I'm guessing, sodium and alkalinity, there aren't too many options. I have not seen much produce grown here which is not under-sized. Locals accept it and grow crab apples, tiny grapes and things like that. 

I'm not that easy. Something I am no looking into is giant plants. Seeds are fairly difficult to find and produce quality can be questionable. Worth a try, though.

There is a vendor on Amazon who specializes in seeds for rare and giant plants. Reasonable prices and shipping. Going to try ordering a few things from them soon. Giant corn, various flowers, etc. If quality isn't what I want, may try grafting plants or seeds. As it is, they have seeds for corn which allegedly grows over 16' tall and up to six ears per plant. Some other things are more "normal" plants which just grow large or very quickly, like Jasmine and various other flowers. 

Something I did not know. Blueberries grow from seeds. I wasn't even aware blueberries had seeds. I'm sure it would take much longer to grow them this way but much more affordable. 

This kind of brings back the idea of the tree project. Starting trees which grow flowers and fruit, letting them get to some size and then planting them out. Not quite as easy as I would hope but it is possible. 

The iron sulfate came today. Treated part of the garden and the front yard with that this evening. See how things look after this. This formula is 30% iron, 15% soluble. Waiting for the other iron to arrive and then treat the other side of the garden and other sections of the yard. Then compare results.

The well guy is supposed to be here tomorrow to discuss a possible new well. Says he'll take payments. See how it all pans out. 

Unfortunately, walked outside today and found someone had stolen the well pump. I was more than a little upset. Can't prove it but sure I know who did it. Damn drug addict SOB. I still have the utility pump, which works pretty good. Good enough until I can get a new formal well pump. 

No comments:

Post a Comment