Saturday, May 5, 2012

A starting collection

Bought a starting collection of drip irrigation equipment yesterday. Mostly tubing of various types and some connectors. However, quickly realized after getting home that I'm going to need a lot more soaker tubing. Plus various types of connectors.

The initial cost of setting up drip irrigation is not cheap for such a large area. However, the tubing is supposed to last for several years, longer if covered. I read some estimates of up to 7 years. That makes the cost more acceptable.

Some of the garden isn't looking much better than last year, so far. Corn is looking better and so is lettuce, neither of which grew at all last year. It is still early in the season, though. And I haven't planted green beans or many pumpkin seeds yet. Some of the pumpkin seeds I did plant seem to be doing rather well. 

Before setting up drip irrigation in currently bare areas, I want to till in the gypsum and iron this week. I'll decide while tilling whether to add more compost to those areas. I know some spots will need it, not sure about others. 

Waiting for the iron I ordered to arrive. However, just ordered it early Fri morning and it just shipped later Fri, so won't be here for a few days. That's okay, I have to work 4 nights in a row. Should have the iron by Wed or Thur, when I'm off. 

Admittedly, those bare areas had spinach planted which didn't grow. Haven't planted anything else there yet, so it's no wonder it's bare. The frustrating spot is the area next to the fence, where I planted a huge amount of flower seeds. Nothing growing there at all. Haven't tested the soil there, so need to do that. I suspect previous residents had animals housed there, so the sodium is probably worse there than other spots. I'm still hoping I'm not dealing with chemical contamination. 

Finally got a bicycle to ride with my daughter. She's outside playing with a neighbor kid. Have to go check on her and maybe go ride with her for a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment