Friday, May 4, 2012

Drip irrigation

I'm trying to set up drip irrigation. Not quite as easy as it sounds. To wind my way through it, I had to buy a book. (Got it second hand on Amazon.)

You have to hook a water pressure reducer and filter into the system. That hooks to 1/2" tubing. Then you hook a manifold to that and run 1/4" tubing to various areas. 

From there, it gets confusing. There are an astounding number of options available and not much good information pertaining to what fittings to use where. I ordered an assortment of micro-sprinklers, to let me play around and figure these things out. The assortment alone has 15 different sprinkler patterns. And that is from one company. There are a number of different companies that market these things. That isn't even taking into consideration the wide range of tubing types available which have sprinkler emitters built in already.

Of course, like most things, you have to shop around. Prices vary widely on the same items. May not be a big deal if you are irrigating a small area. For me, I'm trying to set up irrigation for something like 5000 sq ft of back yard and 500 sq ft of front yard. No telling how many micro sprinklers I'll have to install, so it counts to me not to be paying more than I have to for each piece. 

Not going to be able to afford the new well this paycheck. Too many bills to pay and some fairly expensive truck maintenance to do. Probably next check. At least it's within view. 

No comments:

Post a Comment