Sunday, February 3, 2013

Temp swings

Not holding out much hope for the broccoli any more. Not going to give up entirely, just not expecting much. 

Biggest problem is temperature extremes. Right now, the night temps are still dropping below freezing. By the time night temps remain above freezing, day temps will be climbing above 80. Either extreme and broccoli just doesn't do well. 

I'm guessing most commercial broccoli is grown in highly controlled greenhouse conditions. If not, it's grown in a much milder climate than this.

On the other hand, I have lots of  tomato seedlings coming up inside. Once temps remain above freezing outside, I can get hundreds more started in the solarium. First couple hundred will be for my own garden. The rest will be sold as seedlings/plants.

I'd been searching for a couple of days for the warranty on the well pump. Finally found it today. Whew! Was getting worried I would have to buy a whole new pump. Not sure I mentioned before but the pump casing cracked. How that happened, I have no idea. It's been sitting in the same place all last summer and through the winter. I drained it to keep water from expanding in it during the winter. Since I bought the extended warranty, I can take it back and exchange it. Harbor Freight is good about honoring their warranties. 

As a bonus, I also found the warranty on the smaller utility pump while searching for the well pump warranty. I had forgotten I even got the extended warranty on the utility pump. 

Sent out water samples from the well and the municipal water to be tested. From the stains the water has caused, I'm suspecting it has a high iron content. It would be crazy if the well water has a high iron level, as much as the surface soil lacks iron and nitrogen. You would think some level of them both would seep upward over centuries. Especially the nitrogen. Guess the clay is just too dense. 

I wonder. Enough acidity, enough irrigation, enough growth on the top, could it eventually change the nature of the soil down to the water table? After all, the water table is only 6 ft down. I don't expect water to seep upward but if a cycle begins which allows the nutrients to seep upward, it would completely change the nature of my soil as long as the aquifer runs beneath it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment