Friday, February 22, 2013

Work from home

Not sure I have mentioned here. I lost my job in December, the week before Christmas. As of right now, I have not found a new job. 

I have not limited my search to nursing. Indeed, I rather feel it is time to move on. I am not happy with the medical field here. 

It took many weeks of battle but I finally won my UI (Unemployment Insurance). I also got a moderate tax refund. Nearly every penny of both have been required to catch up on bills. I was behind on mortgage, electric, water, gas, internet, satellite TV and child support, among other things. Had to allow my prepaid cell phone to lapse and be turned off for over a week. Happily, I still had my VOIP service.

Had a garage sale. Didn't make much. 

I started going to a plasma center to donate, where you are paid for the time it requires.

Now that things are fairly caught up and a little more secure, in the past week, I started acting on an idea. To start a business from home. Going to start making hope chests and window seats, then move on to custom work. I've purchased a few tools I needed for that. Will be buying more within the next week and acquire more over time to do more specialty work. I am still going to the plasma center and using the money from that for the tools and supplies. Once I can sell a few items, I will turn some of that money back for more tools and supplies. 

Aside from that, I am hoping to make a profit from the garden this year. The planned garden is less diverse but expanded in size this year. Mostly tomatoes but with plenty of other things included.

I am not going to do simple, mundane items from the shop. My plans are for more artistic designs, with airbrushed art painted on. I can do more classical work if someone asks for it. One benefit selling locally is that I can offer a lifetime warranty. If anything is flawed in the workmanship, I will repair it free of charge or replace it if necessary, at my option. If something other than workmanship, I can repair it inexpensively. All designs original and no two completely alike. 

Nearly there. Will have the shop functional within the week. 

Once I start building things, I will compile a portfolio and build a website. I will take photos of every piece I build and place them in a book and web gallery.

I'm not going to focus strictly on wood and paint. Going to expand my artistic horizons and start picking up other things as well. Learn some works with leather, metal, glass, stone and possibly other media. 

None of this is going to happen overnight. I feel like this year is going to be a rough one. However, I also feel strangely optimistic about this. It feels like the right direction for me. I don't often feel that. It's a good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment