Sunday, March 10, 2013

Flower seeds and bulbs

Daughter and I planted flower seeds and bulbs in a few areas of the garden today. Planted a couple dozen Gladiolus, which we both like and which I have seen do rather well here. 

I think the reason they do well is because they are another bulb which is planted more deeply than surface seeds, which dry out too quickly to germinate. 

We did scatter some surface seeds. Much easier to germinate with the well working than in previous years. Had a decent amount of flowers last year but hoping for many times that this year.

We planted Nasturtium in the actual main garden, as companion for many of the other plants. 

Daughter said something about hoping to attract more hummingbirds than bees. Apparently the bees make her a little nervous. However, she has never been stung by one and most of the bees around here don't seem to sting, any way. 

I've even gotten on good footing with the yellow jackets, which I never expected to happen when I was young. The ones around my house growing up were very aggressive. However, the more I think about it, I now wonder how much that may have had to do with living next to a beer joint. 

Around my house last year, we had bees, parasitic wasps, yellow jackets and hornets. That's aside from ladybugs, butterflies and so forth. Turning into quite a bug zoo here. Good thing about that is, the more we see of those, the less we see of potato bugs, cucumber beetles and so forth. Though the ones I really hope to see none of this year are the squash bugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment