Monday, March 4, 2013

60 tomato plants

Currently up to 60 tomato plants inside. Most are small but many developing true leaves. While some are 6-8" tall, I have transplanted them deeply before this, to encourage more roots to grow. 

One of my biggest mistakes in the past has been transplanting seedlings out too soon. Not doing that this year. Be a bit more patient. In previous years, I have started seedlings in December or January. However, have had instances where they were destroyed by dogs in the house. Other times I moved them out when it seemed safe, only to have a late freeze or even deep snow. This year, I am keeping them in containers and protected from dogs better. 

With the number of tomato plants I am trying to grow this year, I've decided to stake most of the tomato plants instead of caging. However, I am going to add crossbeams to the stakes. Fast, inexpensive, easy and less space required. Should also be easier to prune for more fruit and less bushy foliage.

Weather here is getting slowly warmer. Gradual enough this year that I think I should have a decent lettuce crop, now that temps are mostly above freezing at night. I am beginning to see a few microscopic sprouts here and there in the garden. So, hoping that things will be greening up in the next couple of weeks. Past luck has mostly been that as soon as temps rise above freezing, it very quickly shoots into the 80's and 90's and lettuce bolts so fast you only have about a week where it can be harvested for eating. Seeming like a milder start to the year now, so maybe lettuce and spinach stands a better chance.

I think this is going to be a good year for the garden.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment