Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Near miss

Apparently it got colder last night than expected. The tomato plants all had drooping leaves this morning. Luckily, they recovered in the afternoon. I think the problem was that it had been cloudy and cool all day yesterday, so the plants and pots never got a chance to store any residual heat. Something to keep in mind in the future.

Frost forecast this weekend. Glad I didn't plant tomatoes out yet. Have to bring things back in for a few days.

Decided on a much less expensive and labor intensive support system for the tomatoes this year. In the past, I always viewed things as commonly presented. That meant two choices for tomato support, cages or stakes. I did consider a partial cage with only three sides and last year I built A-frames. This year, I'm going to use stakes but with additional cross beams. Using 1x2's, it will cost $1.50 or less per vine. Considering that I have quite a few 1x2's left over from last year, the cost should be minimal. Going to try painting at least the bases with linseed or castor oil for preservation.

I'm behind on starting seedlings, if I'm going to sell any of them. Have to buy more potting soil and cups this week. I'll start them next week. One problem is space. Though once the seedlings inside form second true leaves, I can move them outside, leaving more room to start more seeds inside. 

I have a lot of scrap wood which I can use to build additional outdoor seeding racks. I'll still be scouting around for more scrap wood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment