Friday, April 5, 2013

39 plus 15 plus..

Up to 39 tomato plants in the ground. This would probably be easier if I had started everything all at once but I am limited by space indoors. 

Have my first tomato flowers of the year! Not bad for first week of April! 

Aside from the tomato plants, I'm extending the planting to different areas and items as I get irrigation in place. For one thing, some seedlings were getting quite stressed in their cramped conditions.

I planted out 15 cucumber vines yesterday. Their roots had already wrapped in circles at the bottom of their containers. Plus 4 watermelon vines. Then planted out hundreds of flower seedlings. 

I've had really rotten luck with flowers here. Truly hoping that turns around this year. Last year was the best to that point but still far short of what I had hoped for. 

Beneficial insects are arriving or waking up in climbing numbers. I've seen butterflies, ladybugs, bees and wasps. Plus the birds love the pile of branches next to the compost pile. All the water from the irrigation system seems to be drawing things in. Still hoping to have bats this year, too. 

I was beginning to worry about the grape vines for a while. I had pruned the oldest and largest back severely this winter. Hoping to encourage larger grapes out of it. Plus the neighbors put up a new wooden fence and in the process had completely removed another grape vine which had produced for the first time last year. (Why the hell would you do that?!) I wasn't sure if hey had done anything to this vine. However, on close inspection yesterday, I found it is forming new vines and buds. The one on the other side of the yard is right over the compost pile, so should produce some really good grapes this year. I trimmed it back a lot this winter, also. 

Okay, if I'm going to get things done, have to get moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment