Monday, April 1, 2013

First 20

Got the first 20 tomato plants in the ground! Only about 10 are large enough to need stakes yet. However, I'm hoping that they will now take off, since the soil is warm enough, roots have more space and the moisture more consistent than in the small containers.

For the most part, I'm moving to planting straight into the soil from the large styrofoam cups, instead of gradually moving up to larger containers and then into the garden. Less need for the extra step now and I just don't have enough large containers.  

Cucumber vines are getting pretty big, so going to have to plant them out this week. Soil temp should be warm enough for them. Just hope ambient night temps aren't still too cool. 

I have to get the drip system set up this week. Going to take a few hours to finish. 

I have small random plants coming up here and there in the garden. Seeds which remained in place from last year. I'm going to just let some of them grow where they are. I like the randomness. In some cases, it also lets me know those crops will germinate at this point. And definitely lets me know the soil is improved!

No comments:

Post a Comment