Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Moving ahead

Got the irrigation system set up for the year in the front yard and the south and southwest back yard. Got the main lines for the main garden in place. Going to take some time to get the lines laid out to the individual rows but should have it done this week.

Got about a dozen more tomato plants into the ground this evening. Brings the count over 30. Have more which I can plant out by this weekend. I was questioning whether I would have space for over 100 but it's looking like I will be able to manage about 200. Long as I can get that many seedlings going soon.

Good sign! It seemed like every single shovel of soil had earthworms today! That's quite a change. The first year here, daughter and I found exactly one earthworm. The number has rather slowly increased but this year has jumped dramatically. Of course, that does not include the entire yard and garden but the more there are in some areas, the easier to increase the numbers elsewhere as the soil improves. 

Lettuce and spinach are growing but agonizingly slowly. Sadly, it's seeming like by the time they grow a decent size, they'll bolt very quickly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment