Sunday, April 28, 2013

More sprinklers

Got a gift card from some old friends in Texas. Thanks to that, I am able to extend the irrigation system to the last dry areas of the yard. These areas have been dry and bare since I moved in, except for weeds. And bamboo in the beginning. 

So, I've added several new micro-sprinklers. Still have more which I haven't installed yet. Waiting to let the new ones run a few times and decide where more are needed. Going to plant some remaining flower seeds saved from last year in those spots later this week. Have to add another cycle to the timer for those spots, to keep the surface soil moist through the day until the seeds are established. Still trying to get more flowers to attract more pollinators and just for my daughter, who loves flowers.

Decent number of tomato plants are recovering from the multiple freezes. Waiting to see if more recover. I hope so, because the freeze wasn't hard enough to hit the roots. Really sucks that the largest ones are now smaller than they were before the frost.

The acid treatment kind of backfired on me. Looks like it made a lot of the weeds grow better instead of killing them. Guess that's a good sign of just how alkaline the soil is. Need to buy more acid.

Planted more watermelon and pumpkin seeds today. May seem early for planting pumpkin but I planted some giant variety and hope to have a chance for a few really big ones. Plus they form a natural mulch, which can help moderate soil temperature. I'm alternating rows of tall plants (mostly tomatoes) and rows of short plants. 

I broke down more gypsum board the other day and spread that into the trenches between rows. Though I should probably place some on top of the rows, at the base of tomato and pepper plants and beneath drip lines. The rest, I'm going to cultivate in. Loaned out the tiller the other day, so do that after I get it back. That should help it reach the root zones over time and break down. It will help this year but help even more in future years, as it breaks down more and gets tilled in. 

Going to get lots more tomato seeds started this week. Kind of late but not too late to see fruit this year. Still shooting for 200 in the garden this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment