Sunday, June 14, 2015

Change of layout

I have decided to make a change of layout in the garden. Today I set the new seedless grape vine in the ground. In the main garden, instead of along the fence. What I want to do is establish an actual (small) orchard. Laying things out in a straight line in the main garden would make it easier to propagate new vines. I'll trim most of the vine runners up higher but leave one or two at the bottom, let them gain some length, bury them in soil until they form roots, then cut the connection to the "mother". No question it will take several years to establish a whole line of vines that way but that's okay.

Hmm. Okay, I just figured out I did something wrong. I set the vine in the ground at the end of the row. Should have done that in the middle. Then I could form two new vines at once instead of one. I'll have to move it. That way I can start with one vine and by the end of the year I'll have at least three. Next year that would increase to five, the following year seven. etc. Then I can keep them well trimmed and the grapes will grow to a good size. 

That doesn't mean I will ignore the grapes along the fences. I'll still extend them. I have kind of an emotional attachment to them now. 

Have to get the watermelon and pumpkin plants in the ground this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment