Tuesday, June 9, 2015

White flies

Still having a problem with white flies on indoor plants. They're a huge problem here every year, both inside and out. I'm keeping the office windows closed and have taken to spraying flying insect poison several times a day in there. Tried insecticidal soap but with limited effect.

Problem is that they kill off seedlings until they are large enough to deal with the damage. Of course, they lay eggs and hatch in the soil, so they do damage at least from soil level up. Even those that survive take much longer to mature.

I've had lots of flowers and several cannabis seedlings die off from this. Cannabis seeds are not cheap, at up to $5 per seed. Just trying to get a few plants to maturity, so I can produce more seeds. 

Outdoor tomato plants keep looking better. Most of the varieties I'm growing right now don't tend to grow that tall, maybe 4 ft maximum but they bush out a lot, which they are doing. They have not yet gained enough size that I need to trim them back. I do have a few small tomatoes forming. They'll take a while because all these varieties are large tomatoes. No cherry or grape tomatoes this year. I only grew those for daughter and she has more liking for large tomatoes now and not small ones. That's good because it concurs with my own preference. That is, good if she doesn't eat all of them! Lol! 

Watermelon vines are coming up. I'll get them in the ground as soon as they form some true leaves. I have them outside already, in partial shade so they will adjust more quickly to sunlight. 

Not seeing any carrots in the garden which I planted. Though they can remain hidden for a while. Still a chance for the, since weather has been warm but lots of cloudy days. If seeds had a chance to germinate, they will come up.

Strange thing. The potatoes in the solarium had stopped growing while the cilantro was growing. Now that the cilantro went dormant, the potatoes started growing again! Any way, I removed the cilantro and planted more red potatoes in containers a few minutes ago.

I had been holding off on tying the tomato plants too much but checked closer this evening and wound up having to tie some of them quite a bit.

I do have to do some more revisions of the irrigation and put down more black plastic. The weeds are going wild under the translucent plastic. So, translucent plastic is a definite failure.It has kept the weeds contained so they don't spread but not much else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment