Saturday, June 6, 2015

Computer updates

Today so far I am kind of stuck doing computer updates. For a long time the video card channel in my motherboard wasn't working. Computer was function on the native Windows driver, so it was okay for most things. Could not send video to the TV or play computer games. Would overheat the processor with some videos, then I learned even that was only on one browser, so I switched browsers. 

Ordered and installed a new motherboard. Not only did the motherboard not work but it fried my 8 core processor.

So I ordered another motherboard and 6 core processor from a different vendor. Installed that last night but had to install drivers and updates this morning, along with tweaking the system so it works how I want. 

Once I get that done, going to get outside and get some things done. Kind of tired because I woke up sick at 4:30 AM. Mostly passed but slept late and not so energetic today thus far.

Tomato plants are taking off like rockets now! Hundreds of flowers and I saw the first baby tomato of the season yesterday. 

Been testing the soil and it became very alkaline again. Started doing frequent acid treatments at much higher levels than ever before. It's doing some good. 

Cucumbers are still suffering. This is second attempt and several have died off. Maybe I need to get them in the ground instead of containers. Do that today and see how they do. 

This year I am growing cannabis. Mostly in containers but may move some out to the garden once they reach a large enough size to transplant. Then compare how they do. Down side to planting outdoors is that there will be no harvest until fall. Yes, I am licensed on the medical program here. Trying to grow my own because it has the potential to save me thousands of dollars. I'm a really light user and if I get one plant to harvest it would last me several years. 

The blueberry bushes are looking decent. No berries, though. Either need larger containers or get them in the ground. Before I can do that I have to intensely treat and acidify the soil where I'm going to plant them. 

Finally got a living pomegranate bush and a wisteria bush and both are looking good so far. Need to harden them off and get them moved outside, also. 

Finished the garden fence two weekends ago to keep the dog out and provide a trellis for some plants. It looks rather decent! Yay! The footers are each set in concrete, so it should be stable. 

My plan is to build an arbor down at least part of the center of the garden and have grapes and wisteria growing on it. 

All my Gladiolus bulbs seem to be doing well, even after transplanting them out to the garden. 

I now have four red grape vines. Seems when the neighbors installed their privacy fence they buried part of the vine, which formed roots and then turned into new vines. That's funny because these are the same neighbors who killed a green seedless vine while building that fence. Now the four vines are growing across and through the fence! I'm keeping the vine cut back a lot more this year, trying to increase the size of the grapes. But what they did also taught me a method of propagating the vines, since every attempt at growing from cuttings was not working for me. Not sure what I was doing wrong. Doesn't matter. That method will work for a lot of vines and bushes, maybe even trees in some cases. Going to give it a try. Already started an attempt with the green seedless grape vine. 

I have been successfully propagating tomato plants by cuttings. I added 4-5 plants by that method and took four more cuttings this week. They seem to be doing okay so far. Give it a bit more time. 

Got watermelon seeds started this week and they're coming up. Need to get more potting soil and get pumpkin seeds started. I just waited this year. Maybe between starting later plus the plastic on the mounds I can avoid most of the squash bugs this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment