Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mini garlic?

Went out and weeded the garden this evening. Only got about 5 lbs this time, half of what I got the first time, so getting better. Maybe next time will be half again?

Had to harvest the garlic along one side of the garden, since the leaves fell over, browning. It was all spring planted and not fully formed, so I have a lot of very small garlic now. Think it should be edible, though.

Guess I overdid it with the ammonia and vinegar yesterday. Kind of burned a few leafy plants. Though I think the heat is really affecting the romaine. On the other hand, the iceberg is perking up. So are a lot of the less leafy plants. Most leaf lettuce has been dying off but I recently planted Black Seeded Simpson, which is supposed to be more heat and drought tolerant. Give it a try.

I pulled the most tragic looking lettuce and gave it to the bunny, who seemed happy with it. By the way, the bunny has chosen one particular corner to do her business in, which makes it easier to just move the hutch and collect it for the compost.

No matter what mistakes I make, I'm seeing it as a process which improves my knowledge and the soil. Plants which die off make it to the compost directly, indirectly via the bunny process or just turned back into the soil. Mulch helps but I think will help more over time as old mulch gets turned and mixed into the soil and new mulch added to the top. Even if I add too much Nitrogen and acidity to the soil for current plants, it helps the garden condition in the long term. I learn lessons both from what I do right and what I do wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment