Sunday, May 16, 2010

Raised mounds built!

Finally got myself outside and built the raised mounds I had been planning on for some time. It was too hot in the afternoon, after work, so took a nap and did it this evening.

Only built five mounds so far but they're large. Biggest one is over 4 ft across. Size and placement are asymmetrical. Sides are black plastic supported by wooden stakes driven in the ground. Put down a layer of dry alfalfa, then piled the soil/compost mixture on top of that. Each should be big enough for several tomato, pumpkin and pepper plants. Maybe some marigolds thrown in here and there. Give a try at companion planting some cucumbers and green beans, too. I'll build more once I can afford to buy a few yards of potting soil or the next batch of compost is ready.

Moved the tomato seedlings out into full sun this evening from under the tree. See how they do there. Moved the tray of mixed sprouts out under the tree. These are all warmer weather plants.

Got some ore seed corn. The corn I planted outside is being stubborn. I'm frustrated because I had counted on the corn providing some shade to the smaller plants. At this rate, the lettuce will be long gone before the corn is tall enough to provide any shade. Not sure of the fate of the spinach. That's okay, long as I can get at least one good crop of lettuce and spinach. I was planning on successive plantings once it's too hot for lettuce.

One of my next experimental projects is going to be mixing straight rabbit compost with potting soil. Not sure how hot rabbit droppings are. I've read of people spreading them directly out into their garden. Not like chicken manure, which is unanimous in statements of it being too potent without composting before use. Some of the tomato plants are still fated for some experimentation, so I can use some of them for that, aside from the ammonia and vinegar continuation. Just been waiting for them to gain some size. Currently have over 140 tomato plants and nowhere near enough room to grow all of them to maturity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment