Saturday, May 8, 2010

More ammonia

First, I'll say we found feathers and dried blood in the yard today. Most right where the dog hangs out. I'll just say the dog will never be let off her tie-out line without direct supervision again. Too much damage over too many chances. So, no more chances.

The lettuce started curling up and some of the leaves turned yellow. Haven't had any more frost or cold enough weather to cause it. One suggestion I read was they need Nitrogen. Haven't treated the garden for a few weeks and even then it was a light treatment. So, sprayed the garden with vinegar and ammonia with the hose attachment sprayer tonight, after sundown. Then sprayed with plain water after, to wash the mixture off the foliage and into the soil.

Hope I don't kill the whole garden! But at this point, I doubt it. I recently had to treat the grass again and it's doing fine. But wanted to do the grass first to make sure I wasn't overdoing things. Grass started to turn colors but the first time I used only ammonia. Followed the next day with vinegar and things turned around. But it did come to me that rinsing the mixture off the foliage was a good idea, to avoid burning.

I also added some compost to the weaker mounds earlier in the day, so I hope the combination does some good.

No matter what, way things had begun looking, lots of things were going to die off if not treated. If the treatment does some damage, haven't lost anything which wasn't going to be lost. The weather has been dry and going into the 80's here, so it could be dryness and heat doing harm. Or maybe I'm watering too much. Lay back on that for a couple of days and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment