Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Been less than 48 hours since I added sulphur to the garden. Will not go as far as saying it was the last thing needed. (Though I've added just about anything else you can name. Except zinc.) I will say this was a major missing piece of the puzzle.

I have not yet experienced the whole thing of plants "leaping out of the soil" some people describe. Been mostly more of a creeping sluggishly from the ground. Talking with other people here, I largely accepted it as a fact of gardening in NM. Still knew that this soil could do better and without using hormones or some garbage like that.

Maybe not leaping from the soil but two days have brought some amazing changes. Accelerated growth. Most everything has grown larger by several inches. Less yellow, more green to all existing plants. More flowers on every flowering plant, by the dozens in many cases. New tomatoes forming and cucumber vines climbing while melon vines are creeping.

Even if a small one, a corn crop by the holidays is looking like an actual possibility now. Not nearly as many pumpkin plants as there were a couple weeks ago but there will be pumpkins by Halloween. It really is too late to plant more pumpkins, I guess. But in a few more weeks I can plant more lettuce and spinach. Plant the rest of the seed green beans this weekend, after I can better identify the more bare areas.

I'm really excited to see things changing for the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment