Sunday, August 28, 2011

Things are up and down with the garden. Mostly seem to be up, though.

Finally got the replacement shipment of ladybugs. Alive this time! Daughter and I released them last night and it was largely how I pictured the event in my head. She was laughing, giggling at how much they tickled and fawning over how cute they are. We each had ladybugs all over our shirts, arms and in our hair. They were everywhere and a lot seemed to take a big liking to the green picnic table.

Now counting 52 pumpkin plants in the garden. There are actually more but some are dead or nearly so. Doubting all the ones out there now will survive but most seem to be doing better daily. Biggest is about 6 ft long now.

Had the second female pumpkin flower this morning. More seem set to follow soon. Not taking chances. I walk the garden each morning and manually pollinate new female flowers.

Found a secondary benefit to sulphur. It deters the neighbor dog from crapping in my front yard! That alone is enough to make me spread more sulphur! (Since using a gun would be illegal.)

Been making it a habit to fertilize each Sunday after ex picks my daughter up. Works out well that way. Also spread more sulphur this evening.

Scores of new tomato flowers. If only half form tomatoes, I'll have a huge crop in a few weeks!

Went ahead and ordered the tiller with the four installment payment plan. Not sure how long until it arrives. Just ordered it Fri night. On Sat got order confirmation but no shipping info as yet. Ordered the four cycle engine. Stronger, quieter and probably last longer. If it comes within the next couple of weeks, I'll try tilling the area along the fence where nothing is growing. Plant short, cool weather crops like lettuce, spinach and broccoli. Wouldn't hurt to try.

Other than that, going to try and pick up all the OT I can while daughter is gone. Clean house extensively when not working.

No comments:

Post a Comment