Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Of course, there are no magic bullets. However, I can already say I finally found a key missing ingredient for my own garden!

After just one night, this morning a lot of things look decidedly different. Several plants (most notably tomato and pumpkin) are several inches larger than they were just yesterday afternoon. Some plants had yellowing spots nearest the stems and some had spots on the leaves. Those are gone or resolving, except the worst ones. I see new sprouts coming up but admit that could be attributed to many factors. However, sulphur has an important role in seed germination. Some tomato leaves were slightly curled and look much less so. Of course, full heat of the day hasn't arrived yet.

As controls, I placed some sulphur in with some potted plants which looked a little weak. Too soon to tell with them yet.

I know the full effect of the sulphur is not being seen yet. The gradual release pellets are not even fully dissolved. They're meant to release small amounts each time you water. And the whole microbe digestion thing.

While many fertilizers have some amount of sulphur in them, it is not enough to correct a deficiency in sulphur weak soil. Has to be added separately.

So plans for this winter will be to add lots of things deep into the soil. More organic material (do that leaf collection thing again plus all the wood chips I can manage), lots of calcium, magnesium, nitrogen (ammonia) and sulphur. Have my hopes up again for some results this year but now considerably higher for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment