Thursday, January 24, 2013

Grower's market

Talked to the people from the South Valley Grower's Market today. The lady I spoke with was really nice, friendly and polite. I really enjoyed talking with her. (Little note: She's from South Carolina.) 

Any way, everything sounds quite reasonable. They only charge $60 per selling season for a spot at the market. So, if things grow as I am hoping, I will be selling produce there every Sat morning this summer. 

One thing I was worried about was if I would have to have some state license or permit. Turns out it's not required. The sellers at the grower's markets are much like myself. Not people with large farms, just large gardens. Not enough to be commercial. Most grow organically or at least, like myself, with no pesticides. 

Sounds like it could be fun!

At this point, I have 157 broccoli seeds planted inside, half of which have sprouted already. Around 90 tomato seeds and 52 pepper seeds started. Have to hold off a bit on any more because I'm out of space for starting seeds. 

Outside, the first half of the garden is planted with around 800 spinach seeds, 200 lettuce and around 1000 carrot seeds. 

Had to put up a fence to keep the dogs out because they were scattering and digging the garden. Not to mention "marking" the entire perimeter of the yard. I cleaned up a huge amount yesterday. Today, they seemed determined to invert their intestines in an attempt to mark the entire yard again. Had to sacrifice some wood I was hoping to save for other projects. They kept getting under the fence and gate. Chased them out at least 5 times today alone. They broke one side of the small gate. Used the wood as a baseboard and stapled the poultry netting to it. Fixed the gate, of course. If that doesn't work, I'll have to electrify the fence for a few days, until they learn a lesson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment