Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Moving ahead

Temperature was 24 degrees this afternoon. Still, I went out and tilled a good section of the garden. Ground was dry, so I didn't have to deal with ice in the ground. 

I had treated with a strong acid solution a few days ago. That should have killed a lot of the surface grass and weeds. Tilling should kill off a lot of the roots and expose some of the deeper seeds to freezing. Though I am going to treat with more acid. 

Some of the soil still has a lot of clay content and was hard to till. I still need to add more gypsum, leaves and compost. While the organic material I've tilled in from the surface helps, it's not enough. 

Going to till the rest of the garden in the next couple of weeks, starting tomorrow. 

Started purple broccoli seeds tonight. Only 45 so far. If weather cooperates, I can move them out to the solarium next week. Then plant them out by late Feb or early March. 

Once I get the first section of the garden treated with acid and tilled again, I'm going to go ahead and plant spinach seeds. Even if it's still too cold yet, it should germinate once the temperature is sufficient. 

Going to wait and see but things look like I may be able to plant carrots and lettuce within a month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment