Monday, January 7, 2013

Solarium 2013

Started getting the solarium up this weekend. Had to go with plastic sheeting for now. Glass was too heavy and my tools aren't accurate enough, so I'll have to buy moulding at some future point. 

I'm also going with a temporary design for now. Quite solid and strong. However, a temporary design does not require permits or inspections. 

The first section went up late Sat afternoon. Too late to see any heat gain. Then I extended it further yesterday but it was cloudy, so no heat gain again. However, it has already shown definite benefits in reducing heat loss. Today is sunny and I am going to finish extending as far as materials allow. Then take some temperature measurements. 

The whole thing is on the west side of the house because the construction and placement only allows for either the east (front yard) or west (back yard) placement. So, I only see heat gain for part of the day. 

Before I was finished getting the first section up, daughter was asking if she could use it as a playroom. I said yes and she quickly furnished it with a chair, blanket and folding TV table. 

When temperatures can consistently remain above freezing in the solarium, I can start using it for early seed starting. That should be a big advantage. I want to see how large, how early and how productive I can get the tomatoes this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment