Monday, June 11, 2012

Much improved!

So, figured out what I was doing wrong with the well pump. I did devise a filter for the foot valve which is working rather effectively. I love nylon netting! However, kept losing prime. Then figured out I had to maintain pressure after the pump, not just before. (May sound naive to people experienced with pumps but I'm new to this. Makes sense but I didn't think about it before.) So, changed the setup a bit. Still on manual but will automate after next paycheck. Split the output from one 1" pipe out to two 1/2" pipes. Doing pretty good. Separate filters for front and back yard lines. 

I am not being conservative with my current water use. Still in the process of flushing sodium downward. It's working but takes time and lots of water. So does establishing new grass and crops. Getting there, though. 

Now over 100 corn stalks, 15 tomato plants, can't count the pumpkin sprouts, see lots of green bean sprouts coming up, onions look much better than last year and dill is doing great! The few carrots which grew have grown faster than ever. Try another crop later this year. Noted the giant yellow corn is coming up and the giant blue corn planted last week is already sprouting! Nice! If all corn planted grows, I'll have over 200, maybe 300 corn stalks in the garden this year. Half of that giant varieties.

Pollinated the first female pumpkin flower this morning. Earliest ever. Looks like a giant variety, with over four months to grow until Halloween! Awesome!

So, with the well pump now working properly, my next project will be to work on setting up an automated fertilizer and acid injection system. I can do that with supplies on hand. Don't think it wise to use it while the yard is occupied, since I have multiple sprinklers involved. I can use it to balance the PH but not much to acidify outright. So, a more gradual approach will be necessary. That's okay, long as the water isn't alkaline. It's already much better than municipal water. Think I'll do a comparison tomorrow. 

Digging in some plants today, found a large number of earthworms! These were nowhere near where I had inserted worm cocoons I had purchased, so it's a really good sign! Daughter picked some of them up and intends to start a worm farm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment