Friday, June 29, 2012

Problems and improvements

Having some problems with some of the pumpkin plants. I know I have a minor issue with squash bugs. Been scouting and destroying them as I find them but nothing compared to last year. No signs of squash vine borers that I can see. Maybe it's the heat, maybe inconsistent watering for a few days. Most appear to be recovering now. Have a few pumpkins growing. First giant bit the dust. Bummer. For safety, going to pull one vine and toss it in the trash. Not happy, it's a giant variety. However, I have more of those planted. If I get a couple of good size ones grow to maturity this year, I'll have plenty of seeds for next year.

Aphids aren't a huge problem this year but I do see some signs of them. Just got a shipment of ladybugs. Release them with daughter this evening. This is actually second shipment. First shipment arrived via UPS, all dead. With 2 day shipping, UPS managed to keep them sitting out in the sun enough to kill them. I even met the truck at the driveway and the box was hot to touch when they guy handed it to me. 

Ordered more mantis egg cases. They're good for lots of pests, including tomato hornworms, squash bugs and aphids. 

Hoping to get colonies of both ladybugs and mantises going by the end of the season this year, so they will already be in place in spring next year. Already have lacewings and wasps returned from last year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment