Friday, June 22, 2012

No auto pilot

Rained heavily last night. Rain got inside one of the water timers and now the display is blank. Try letting it dry out and see if it works. 

Some of the corn is now up to my chin. Earliest and smallest (grows about 4 ft tall) has silked and has lots of little ears of corn. They should grow bigger. Should have corn in another week or so! Then I'll leave the stalks in pace as shade for other crops and trellises for green beans, which are starting to climb.

Lots of tomatoes on the vine, many approaching eating size but still green. Not guessing when they'll ripen because I planted too many varieties. 

Onion stalks are beginning to brown, so almost ready to harvest. Hope they're bigger than last year. If not, I'm giving up on red onions. 

Lettuce has bolted. I keep pulling it up and feeding it to the rabbits but even they are showing less interest in it. Have to pull the rest this weekend. 

Pumpkin plants are getting huge! Haven't spotted any new pumpkins but haven't examined that closely. I'm letting the bees do their thing with pollinating, except for giants. 

The last set of sunflower seeds is growing in the front yard. Now that I have irrigation to that area, need to plant more sunflowers near the back gate. 

I ordered a 50 lb bag of iron sulfate. Should be here in a few days. Have to treat some areas heavily but that bag should still last a while. 

It's actually beginning to look like I will have enough produce to either can or sell some this year! Depends on quality, of course. Wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment