Friday, July 12, 2013

First try

Making my first attempt at propagating grape vines, plum trees and apple trees by cuttings today. Give them a couple of weeks and see how they do.

I did some reading on the subject last night. A lot of sources say cuttings should only be taken in late fall or early spring. Other sources say you can take them in the summer but have to strip off all the leaves. That latter sounded reasonable, so that's what I did. 

Took some cuttings which were really green. Figured they are already in very active growth process, so would be most likely to form roots. Just for comparison, took some other cuttings which were slightly older. The fruit trees I took cuttings from are young, themselves, so there were no truly mature branches to take cuttings from. 

If these succeed, I'll balance things out to take more cuttings later and get lots of saplings going for next year. Very possible I could start a rotation of selling them. Wouldn't want too many apple trees because they grow large. Could potentially grow a row of plum trees, though. 

Who knows? One of these days I may own enough land to have an entire orchard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment