Sunday, July 21, 2013

Tomato cuttings

Daughter and I did the tomato cuttings today. If they all survive, that will mean 45 new tomato plants. Hopefully with time to produce this growing season. Did them around noon and most still look good right now. 

Most of the tomato plants in the garden which have been behind the curve are now maturing and should fruit soon. Means I need more 1x2's or get the PVC set up to stake them. Think I'll use the PVC. 

Did more tying of larger tomato plants. Fruit had become so heavy it had dragged some branches to the ground. (That is definitely not a complaint.) While doing so and since thinning flowers, found I have what appears to be hundreds of tomatoes now. All different sizes, so it promises an ongoing crop for the next few months. 

Getting some small pickling cucumbers finally. Tons of flowers and vines are climbing. Hope those flowers soon turn to cucumbers!

Several new pumpkins growing now. The vines are ones that produce giants, so I'm still hoping!

Planted the second round of spinach seeds today. May still be too warm for them just yet but can always plant one more round if I have to. Have seeds left. 

Harvesting dill seeds as the seeds themselves mature. I actually think I'll plant more dill for selling. Fresh dill goes for a good price. Besides, it helps drive off some pests. 

Saw the first cantaloupe today. Lots more flowers and several vines have stretched out and ready to grow more. 

Lavender is blooming. I do not grow the variety popular here. While that variety has been blooming for weeks, it also grows huge and is hard to control. I prefer the short variety. Very aromatic and attractive but not as invasive. 

All in all, we now have a wonderful variety of flowers growing together! Lots of hummingbirds, increasing numbers of butterflies and ladybugs. Bees are gathering and increasing in numbers in multiple varieties. Marigolds are growing everywhere, rather randomly. I may have to control many flowers next year but for now, letting them go. 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment