Saturday, July 27, 2013

Possible giant

Daughter and I didn't make it to the growers market this morning. It flooded over here last night. Seemed unlikely there would be anybody at the market, so we skipped it. 

Maybe next weekend will be different and we'll give it a try.

More tomato plants are producing now. Finally got more of them staked. A couple had gotten much larger than I thought they were and already have fruit maturing. Last few days I've been picking a cumulative total of 2-3 lbs per day and that rate seems to be growing. 

I have my possible giant pumpkin. A giant variety pumpkin vine has several pumpkins on it now. One of those is now about 5 lbs. Last weekend it was about 1 lb, so it quadrupled in size in a week or less! With three months left before Halloween, it has lots of potential!

Plus another giant vine has at least one pumpkin growing. That one is next to the compost bin. That's good and bad. Lots of nutrients but also lots of sow bugs. If I can find something to keep it elevated and safe, that one should grow quite large, also. 

Thanks to all the rain, the weeds have caught up to me. Hoping next year my finances will be better, so I can use weed fabric and mulch extensively. 

Right now, the garden has turned into an unintentional maze in some spots. Not such a bad thing in some ways because of the wildlife it has attracted. 

Got some small envelopes the other day. Today I used those to bag seeds to sell. I'll keep saving seeds for later use and to sell this year and next. If they don't sell, I'll have a larger stock on hand for future years. Or I can offer them for free to people who buy from me at the growers market. 

Daughter likes the idea of selling flower bouquets there, also. 

The storm last night did some damage to some of the sunflowers and corn. Both the tallest plants I've got. Still lots of them standing, though. Learned my lesson last year and planted densely enough this year. Plus the sunflowers are mostly against fences. Still have one sunflower about 14 ft tall in the front yard. That one is surprising for how thin the stalk is. 

Some Cosmos have now grown as tall as I am. So, they're taller than last year. 

Got a lot of weed and grass trimming to do this week. Before we attract some wildlife we don't want. Like snakes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment